Developed by our world-class engineering team over a ten-year period and experienced by over 250 customers primarily in the US and Canada, DataTerrain Automation is the unique state-of-the-art centerpiece (automation tool) of the DataTerrain report conversion service.
DataTerrain Automation (automation tool) extracts report information from a current reporting source, then converts and publishes your reports to the desired target BI reporting system. Once complete, users can use their new reports in the new BI reporting system.
DataTerrain Automation converts reports from any reporting source (e.g. WEBI to OBIEE / BI Publisher / OAC (Oracle Analytics Cloud), Crystal reports to OBIEE / OAC, BRIO to OBIEE or BI Publisher or OAC, Discoverer to OBIEE / OAC , Actuate to OBIEE / OAC, Crystal reports to Jasper, Cognos to OBIEE / OAC, Webi to Cognos) to work in any BI reporting destination system . Since the conversion is largely automated, the majority of all conversions occur at lightning speed, bringing enormous cost and time savings for customers otherwise facing grueling manual conversion efforts.
DataTerrain Automation performs extraction, conversion, and output generation phases at lightning speed using internal, built-in, proprietary intelligence. Depending on the individual reporting source circumstances, DataTerrain Automation converts 80-100% of any report and performance fixes on the fly. DataTerrain Automation generates intelligent log files that precisely define the conversion elements in the reports and metadata files for future analysis. Our customers enjoy tremendous savings because automation consistently beats manual conversion efforts. We have demonstrated this time and again to hundreds of customers worldwide.
Once automated conversion is complete, our team applies DataTerrain Automation’s multi layer testing scripts to test both the layouts and datasets before delivering reports to our customers. Our team of experienced BI reporting experts built and perfected DataTerrain Automation as they converted BI reports for hundreds of industry-leading customers
BI Reports Conversion Process
Our 5 step process is quite simple and secure:
1. Customers identify business reports that they would like to convert to newer technology of their choice
2. Customer uploads the report files (WITHOUT DATA) to DataTerrain secure server
3. DataTerrain team uses unique DataTerrain Automation tool converts the reports to target in minutes
4. DataTerrain applies performance fixes based on need
5. DataTerrain team validates the reports for layouts and sample data or real data (based on customer’s request) and produces fully usable reports in the target technology.
We follow industry standard change management methods and apply project management tools to streamline every project. Our technical project managers will ensure on-time delivery and complete client satisfaction.
Metadata Files Conversion
OBIEE repository or OAC (Oracle Analytics Cloud) RPD contains the Metadata of the BI Server and has three layers:
• Physical Layer – The actual tables and columns of a database/data source, with join definitions including primary/foreign keys and complex joins
• Business Model Layer – This is where business logic is stored
• Presentation Layer – Where content is organized for users in the most meaningful
DataTerrain Automation can transport all the three layers flawlessly.
Business Objects Universe file is the metadata/semantic layer of SAP business objects reporting environment. It allows the user to interact with and retrieve the required data without having to know the complexities of their database or the data structure. The Universe file mainly consists of objects (dimensions and measures), classes, and relationship definition (joins) between classes. The Universe file has a graphical representation to define the relationships between the classes, making it easy to understand. The Desktop Intelligence reporting and Web Intelligence reporting tools will use the Universe file to create new reports, just by dragging and dropping columns, filters, conditions, etc. from universe file. DataTerrain Automation can transport all the elements of the Universe file to OBIEE / OAC (Oracle Analytics Cloud) RPD or IBM Cognos.
IBM Cognos – Framework Manager is a metadata modeling tool for IBM Cognos BI content that can be used to create a common business model. The Framework Manager model consists of three layers: Database layer, Logical layer, and Presentation layer. The physical (or database) layer contains a database query subject for every table in the physical data model. The logical layer contains query subjects that draw data from the database query subjects, and presents the results in a more consumable format. The presentation layer organizes content for users in a way that is most meaningful. DataTerrain Automation can transport all of this content to OBIEE / OAC (Oracle Analytics Cloud) RPD files.
Fixed Price Model
We all agree that not all the reports are same. Every single report varies in complexity level. For example, the number of formulas, complex layouts, etc. used in the reports in demand more extensive testing and validation than others. DataTerrain has devised a system of complexity metrics and will be provided before project assessment. We primarily have four complexity levels – Simple, Medium, Complex and Ultra-complex. In our years of experience in conversion automation, we have not seen any project with Ultra-complex reports making up more than 1 to 2% of the total size of the project. We find that majority of reports fall withing the Simple and Medium complexity levels, with sporadic exceptions in the real world. Each complexity level has pricing attached, and we provide substantial volume discounts on our list pricing.
Why reports Conversion?
- Moving from legacy to new technology
- Preserving years of efforts spent on report designs
- Continuing business-critical reports
- Consolidating into a single, corporate-wide reporting architecture
- Total cost of ownership of reporting infrastructure
- New data warehouse or business needs
DataTerrain BI Conversion Project Management
DataTerrain’s conversion-as-a-service program includes the use of our breakthrough DataTerrain Automation tool. The service project consists of the following:
DataTerrain works with you to craft a roadmap and conversion plan. We create a complete inventory of all current reports that you have identified as part of the conversion plan. We take advantage of this opportunity to remove obsolete reports and re-architect or standardize reports to make them more usable, improve their performance, or introduce functional changes to make existing reports available to a broader audience. We also address the security aspect of reporting and metadata, and make sure you get the most out of your investment.
The DataTerrain team works closely with clients to ensure smooth startup. This process includes:
- Assignment of a project manager
- Client Orientation – introduction to communication protocols, change management tools , setting expectations, etc.
- Learning and adapting to client-specific needs
- Initial classification of reports as Small, Medium, or Complex
- Refine estimates of project costs and timeline goals
- Detailed project plan
DataTerrain project managers work closely with a clients to coordinate all aspect of the ongoing project and to ensure client satisfaction. The DataTerrain team executes report conversion using DataTerrain Automation and provides fully converted, tested, and immediately usable reports for clients.
- Clients can rely on DataTerrain to convert just one report or several hundred reports. We are prepared for any need in BI reporting and any conversion requirement
- We make sure customers are satisfied with reports performance
- DataTerrain trains clients throughout the complete conversion cycle to create independence.