A more than 173 years old global technology powerhouse was on an accelerated journey to bring together the digital and physical worlds for the benefit of its customers. The organization works on providing technology solutions to address the greatest challenges of our time in such diverse areas as Healthcare systems, the digital transformation of industry, infrastructure, and mobility, and energy transitions. As the company embarks on cutting-edge initiatives in these areas, managing its human capital of 293,000+ employees worldwide is in focus.
This company migrated from PeopleSoft HRMS to Oracle Fusion HCM to create a new age platform to keep up with the rapid pace of change in its business needs. As the next step, the company needed to quickly migrate the reports in PeopleSoft to Oracle fusion HCM.
The company chose DataTerrain to lead this migration initiative due to DataTerain’s –
- Extensive experience and deep technical skills in delivering complex PeopleSoft to Oracle HCM migrations
- Accelerators available in the form of pre-built Oracle HCM reports similar to PeopleSoft reports. These include reports like the following –
- TAX007 – Quarterly Federal Tax Summary
- TAX008 – Quarterly State Tax Summary PAY007 – Deduction in arrears
- TAX010FD – Tax summary for Federal with the ability to run for a date range
- TAX010ST – Tax summary for state with the ability to run for a date range
- PAY013(CN) – Employee earnings snapshot
- TAX900 – Tax error report
- High-quality, zero-defect methodology for on-time and on-budget delivery over numerous migrations
DataTerrain’s proven migration methodology
DataTerrain executed this migration project using its proprietary framework. The major activities of this framework are summarized below –
- Analysis and documentation:- Every PeopleSoft report was analyzed and a corresponding Oracle HCM document was created with a mapping between the columns in PeopleSoft and Oracle HCM. During this documentation, any missing elements were identified, and any areas requiring user decisions and inputs were highlighted. The SMEs(subject matter experts) team from DataTerrain was onboarded whenever required for proposing suitable alternate solutions. For example – When columns required to deliver a user requirement were not available in Oracle HCM entities, DataTerrain SMEs created additional fast formula/valuesets to implement the columns/parameters the customer required. Where required, DataTerrain SMEs assisted key users and customer technical teams in evaluating options before making informed decisions. For new reports not already in PeopleSoft, an Oracle HCM mapping document was created based on User requirements. Based on this, the design was documented and a detailed plan was created for sign-off by the appropriate stakeholders.
- Conversion and Validation – Oracle HCM reports were created based on the documents mentioned above. Based on user preference, the size of the data presented in the report, and column availability one of the following reporting methodologies was chosen–
- OTBI – Using its visually rich features to create analyses and embed in dashboards with required prompts and fields for users to extract relevant information. Some of these were also configured by DataTerrain SMEs to enable self-service so that users could create ad-hoc reports, alerts, and dashboards to aid decision making.
- BI Publisher reports – custom layouts and templates
- HCM extracts/excel outputs
DataTerrain’s pre-built Oracle HCM reports were available as accelerators during this migration process. When core-product issues or gaps were identified in Oracle Fusion, DataTerrain front-ended the interface with Oracle on behalf of the customer, raised relevant SRs, and followed-up to obtain and install fixes and patches from Oracle. DataTerrain brought its domain experts and testers on board to validate formats and data between PeopleSoft and Oracle HCM reports and to left-shift issues identification and fixing. The detailed documentation created by DataTerrain was made available to the customer along with migration documents to ensure the smooth promotion of reports from test to production instances.
- Acceptance and rollout – After validation and user acceptance, reports were migrated to production for final user validation. DataTerrain provided knowledge transfer to the customer team using the documentation created during preceding phases.
DataTerrain completed the migration on time and within budget to help the customers improve productivity through the following features in Oracle HCM –
- Visually intuitive dashboards using reports and analytics
- Reports, visualizations, and personalized user homepages
- Delivery of information to users promptly and on a range of devices to expedite the turnaround of transactions
- Predictive analytics across the Hire to Retire process to evolve HCM processes over time
- Evolving innovations in machine learning, digital assistants, adaptive intelligence, and blockchain integration
Value adds provided by DataTerrain
Following the successful On-Time and On-budget completion of this project, the customer highlighted the following as unique value added by DataTerrain –
- Oracle Connect – By front-ending with Oracle to resolve core product issues, DataTerrain saved a lot of costs, time, and effort for the customer.
- Cross-platform expertise – DataTerrain’s formed an integrated team with expertise across both PeopleSoft and Oracle HCM. This helped the customer bridge a major skill gap that had prevented them from completing the migration earlier.
- Global delivery model with robust governance – With the DataTerrain team distributed across its global centers, project activities were executed round the clock to enable faster progress. Daily/regular calls scheduled with customer technical teams and the user community led to faster issues resolution, decision making, and ensured transparency on project progress.
DataTerrain quickly migrated the customer’s reports from PeopleSoft to Oracle HCM to help them accelerate their time to value from their investment. As the users expand the usage of reports in Oracle HCM, the customer continues to seamlessly transform its HCM across its global network of offices.