One of the largest healthcare services providers has continued to expand its footprint operating long-term care hospitals and providing rehabilitation services across the United States. Across 45 states, its 38300+ employees have grown their capabilities to provide support and care for patients recovering from illness and injury in the most appropriate clinical setting. As the needs of their patients change with evolving healthcare needs, the composition and skills of the teams have transformed rapidly to ensure the most needy patients are the center of everything the organization does. The role, skill mix, and profiles of the fast-expanding workforce in diverse areas like nursing, therapy, and administration continue to be reinvented. To meet the challenges posed by this environment, the company leadership decided to invest in workforce transformation with Taleo as the platform along with SAP BO for BI and reporting. The company chose OBIEE as the target platform to convert when Oracle announced the end of support for SAP BO on Taleo.
DataTerrain was entrusted with the task of performing this transition based on its reputation for On-Time, flawless delivery within budget. Given the critical nature of patient care services provided by its employees, the company provided the following project guidelines to DataTerrain –
1. Complete transition with zero business disruption
2. Provide adequate training and documentation to ensure smooth user experience and ongoing usage
3. Complete cutover to the target environment before support is sunset for the source platform
DataTerrain’s proprietary automation-led lift and shift methodology for accelerated transition
DataTerrain team(Subject Matter Experts) used their experience gained over numerous successful transitions to quickly customize their best-practices methodology to the unique needs of the customer. DataTerrain’s automation tool was configured for the customer’s unique environment and the transition project was executed in the following major phases –
1. AS-IS analysis, planning and preparation – As the first step, DataTerrain SMEs performed a thorough analysis of the SAP BO reports repository using the automation tool. Key information like business purpose, business SMEs, report owners, report execution times and frequency, batch schedules were considered for this analysis. Unique BO features and complex functions/queries that need to be implemented differently in OBIEE were identified. In addition, the following were reviewed using the automated tool to flag potential transition issues – complex implementations for classes. joins or relational definitions between classes, measures, and dimensions(objects) were noted, and appropriate actions were defined in the plan to address them. The analysis report created by the automation tool was used to create a detailed activity plan and agreed with Oracle.
2. Automated Lift and Shift transition and validation – DataTerrain’s automated utility was configured to prepare for the automated transition based on the analysis and actions from the previous phase. The BO universe in the source environment and all its elements were transported to OBIEE RPD by following OBIEE best practices. During this process, complex business logic and individual elements across report layers of the BO universe were translated and metadata was transformed to the appropriate physical layer, business model layer, or presentation layer in RPD. The converted individual report formats, layouts, and data presentation were automatically validated to ensure exact one-to-one lift and shift from source to target systems. Any issues were identified and fixed early in this process to minimize customer effort in subsequent phases.
3. User Acceptance and Rollout – The validated reports from the previous phase were reviewed by key customer stakeholders as a part of the acceptance process. Since key users’ involvement was ensured throughout the major steps from project kick-off, no major gaps were identified during this phase. The target environment and approved reports were rolled out to production users after customer acceptance.
The DataTerrain Difference
Following the successful on-time and on-budget completion of this project, the customer team and Oracle noted the following as the critical success factors for successful project execution by DataTerrain –
1. Automated utility for Lift and shift preserving accumulated knowledge – DataTerrain’s automated process carried forward the look and feel of reports from BO to OBIEE. This ensured that accumulated knowledge gained over decades of refinements was seamlessly retained and users could begin using the new environment with minimal orientation.
2. OBIEE Best practices – The converted reports and the entire transition process adhered to OBIEE best practices recommended by Oracle and this ensured a smooth transition, easier adoption, and low technical debt.
3. Global Delivery Model – DataTerrain deployed its global delivery model to accelerate the round-the-clock execution of project activities and optimize the overall cost of this transition.
4. DataTerrain’s close working relationships with Oracle – DataTerrain’s reputation as a reliable partner and its close working relationships across layers of the Oracle organization enabled a faster turnaround for fixes required during the transition.
DataTerrain converted the customer’s Taleo reporting from BO to OBIEE with optimized cost while meeting or exceeding the standards laid out by Oracle and the customer. This has helped the customer reduce their Total Cost of Ownership on their Taleo platform investments and they have benefited by using its latest features.